Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - What to expect a career in building and project management?
View Single Post
Old 13-11-2013, 03:17 PM

aspenx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stressfullsociety View Post
Hi,

Thanks for the info! Apart from this, any idea how is the starting pay be like? and the career prospect in this field?
I have never heard of the degree. Looked at the curriculum and felt that it's very "general yet specific".

I've worked on construction projects for internship (LTA) and my first job.

1. LTA will definitely not take you in as an engineer based on this degree

2. You need the technical background (M&E and BAS knowledge and potential to pick them up fast) to have a good project role in any company. I reckon you will definitely have to show a lot more drive/interest and self-learning than engineering grads

3. Facilities management will be easier to get in. However be warned. Most facilities jobs are not suited for ambitious people. It is generally considered a "retirement" job by most people in the industry. 1 year as a main contractor could give you a lot more exposure than 2 years sitting in the office as a facilities executive etc

4. Can't advise on salary as I am not familiar with the degree. Not to be a wet blanket but a engineering degree will probably be more marketable in construction. Project management is normally learned on the job for entry positions in this field

5. You shouldn't narrow your focus to just the public sector and MNCs. Some small contractor firms can provide almost as attractive a pay package and a lot of exposure if you can take up the challengeS AND excel. Disclaimer: the project management portion of your degree will probably be largely unutilized

My 2 cents. Hope it helps.

Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills
Primary School English Grammar and Vocabulary Drills

SG Bus Timing App
SG Bus Timing App - the best bus app - available on iOS and Android

Bursa Stocks Android App - check share prices
Bursa Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks Android App - check share prices
SGX Stocks [Android] App - check latest share prices on the go

SGX Stocks for iPad - check latest Singapore share prices
SGX Stocks [iPad] app
| SGX Stocks [iPhone] app