Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 23-11-2012, 12:52 AM
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Not too sure how your friends are getting 6-10% increment annually. I was comparing notes with a friend, he got around 6% as an A-grader (which is very rare) and I only got 4% as a B-grader (above average). I got around 2% as a C-grader (average) the previous year. We're both relatively early in our career though (first 3 years), maybe things change later.

Also, I've no idea if increments are actually percentage-based, if it's a fixed $100 (average) annual increment? Generally, annual increments aren't particularly large. It's a comfortable enough salary, but can forget about becoming rich through teaching alone!
I've no idea how you get the idea that increment is solely based on your performance. It's only a small fraction. There are many other factors. Example, my friend joins the industry after working in a marketing firm for 10yrs. Her pay was adjusted accordingly from the very beginning. She was promoted to 1A1 in the first year n the next year 1A2, getting close to 5K per month. Comparatively, a young diploma holder joined for 4yrs and not even promoted once! Another friend worked for 10yrs before getting A2! As far as I know, the diploma holder has much better performance grade than the other teacher. So, as you can see, age, working exp, qualification, the potential grading, management recommendation etc, also play a part in the increment. Not a very fair system as you are ranked with colleagues in school where you probably put in 100% n get C while another one can get B doing only 50% of you have contributed in another school.