Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Career as Teacher
View Single Post
Old 24-05-2018, 09:17 PM
HQ worker

1) High-performing non-scholars do get offered such opportunities - usually this follows some type of tea session, though. And a 5-year posting is definitely atypical. Compulsory HQ posting is usually a shorter 2-year stint, in fact!

2) I've heard of people rejecting such postings before (though quite some time ago) - such an opportunity may not pop up again, and (unverified) rumour has it that it might affect your future progression.

3) You might want to find out more by contacting HR - even ask why it's a 5-year posting, and possibly negotiate to at least the standard 3-year posting that people get when applying in via open posting.

4) Quite likely.

Think only you can decide whether it's a good move for you - but having made the move I must say that it was a good learning experience to see the system at work in a different perspective. Five years is a scary commitment, though! Would love to hear more details (if not confidential) about this posting, haha.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Good day people. I知 posting here to hopefully seek some clarity on my situation.

First, would like to provide some context. I知 currently a GEO4 holding SH position. I joined in June 2014 and just completed my 4 year bond. I was appointed SH back in Jan 2017. I was promoted to GEO4 just this year in April. I was from the NTU-NIE program and graduated with second upper class. I am not a scholar.

So my P just informed me that HQ informed him that I will be notified of a compulsory posting to HQ this November which will actualize in January 2020. The only other detail that he received is that my posting is a 5-year stint (he mentioned that he has never seen a stint that long, usually it痴 for 2-3 years). There is no mention of which division I will be posted to.

Would like to find out a few things from the more experienced people here:

1. Have you come across a situation like this? If so, under what circumstances?
2. Can I technically reject the posting since I知 not a scholar?
3. Any idea why the stint is for 5 years? Any correlation to the possible division I値l be posted to?
4. Is this because of CEP? (Previous grades were C+, B, B)

Thanks in advance. Always thought this kind of arrangement is only for the scholars so I am currently quite stumped as I did not see this coming at all. Still not too sure if this is a good thing as I知 very happy at my school and I enjoy working with my kids.