Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Supply Chain Sector
View Single Post
Old 20-04-2018, 12:42 PM
Verified Member

JoblessGrad is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
May i know you are graduating from? poly or uni?

As a fresh grad there are really not much selection i would say. Let me share abit about my past. When i grad from uni I wanted to be a demand/supply planner because i have quite a deep SAP experience from SAF(regular) and i improve process for my unit as well. other than that i do have cert from SAP academy SEA from the course i attend during my regular days.

I was looking only for planner job with SAP skills for 4 months with nearly 50 application but i only received 1 interview for planner position in a MNC shoes company. So end up i try to widen my search to ops exec and other logistics position. Frankly speaking, freight forwarder are easier to went in, so after 6 months i have no choice but to join a MNC forwarder(very famous company which everyone should know, fortune 500) which initially i do not want to, that is why i did not apply for job in forwarder in the beginning.

After my first job i even still try to apply for planner job but same thing happened, not sure I am bad luck or whatever reason because all my friend around me told me with SAP experience is very easy to find a job with not bad pay but it seem that is not something for me and i didnt even have the chance to go for interview.

So if salary is a concern then i will share with you about forwarder salary. Like i mentioned, my first job was at a famous MNC forwarder. I was actually an officer there (ok that company structure is abit different from what we understand so officer is actually exec), handling my client logistic in my company aka contract logistics. so all the report, paper work, inbound, outbound, inventory management, abit of warehouse management, deal with other forwarders to arrange shipment, billing and etc. It may sound fun but trust me is very dry, very routine job. pay wise i am only getting 2.5k (few yr ago, uni grads,ex regular and i earn almost the same in the force) even after negotiation, not sure if you find it ok but to me is not.

Good thing about being in forwarder is that you learn how the real world works, definitely not what you learn in school, very different and not advance. And if one day you go to shipper side it will be very be beneficial for you as you know how forward works whereby alot of ppl do not know.

Maybe if you are lucky you can get into planner then go ahead, learn some SAP skill it will be very good for you in the future because most of the big company use SAP instead of oracle. give you an example, my s/o is a recruiter, SAP related position (IT) can go range from 5k and above with just 3-4yr experience.

Therefore just try to manage your expectation, i got friends in well know MNC forwarder(top 5 logistics company in the world), regional manager position, salary is only around 4k plus. where else, an IT person from normal scale company can already earn 5k and above. personally i am no where there yet after like 3 yrs in the industry after multiple jump and promotion, and yes i am in regional position in a top few log company as well if you will like to know.

Hope it helps, i just want to share my point of view. maybe i am not as lucky but i have seen worst. So i always has a joke asking why you want to go into logistics whenever i met new friends in this line. Because the the emphasis of this profession is not as well know as in other country than in Singapore. Tell you a joke, there is one time i went to see a doctor. The doctor ask me what profession am i in, i told him i am a logistician. He was puzzled by the word and ask me is it storeman? I mean if you are in US or EU, when you said logistician, ppl will already know is a good profession. Not to say that storeman is not good job( is a important and respectable job as well if you work in logistics field) but i just want to bring across the idea of logistic industry in Singapore. Is still not a industry that is so well known by others or people just think that is not important therefore no focus.

Hi, thanks for your sharing, I really appreciate it. I am graduating with degree. Last time where I interned, manager told me to avoid planner jobs. (Anw planner is referring to supply/demand planner right? ) He say no matter how u plan, also will tio kan one, it's a highly stressful job. So I guess its a high risk high reward job.
From what u say, I'm really tempted to try planner jobs. However, I have 0 SAP knowledge.

Btw, do u know much about procurement? I have heard from my friend currently working in the logistics industry say it has good prospect, but don't usually hire fresh grad. The thing is need to know how to talk and negotiate.

I agree about this profession logistician, most Singaporean's impression is that "oh u working in warehouse ah?"