Salary.sg Forums - View Single Post - Working in a bank
View Single Post
Old 20-03-2018, 03:52 PM
Unregistered

Default Advice needed

Been in banking since graduation 7+ years ago. Worked my way to to a FO VP (actual not inflated external title) last year, and something has been niggling at the back of my mind.

Started out with a decent 50k annual base, worked it up to around 200k in the recently concluded round, with 60k bonus, which I was pretty disappointed with. I know for my working age (32) and title, there really isn't much to complain about, but I blew my budget right out of the water last year, so I kinda expected more on the B. Seems like I will plateau for a few years now before making D, and I also recognise banking to be a sunset industry.

My line of work, cannot be replaced by automation, at least not in my lifetime. Sales is sales, and the human touch I provide cannot be replaced by machine, only by a better RM. I desperately want to move out of the industry but I really don't know what else I can do, this has been all I've done since graduation. I cover a niche industry, which is exciting, but am now loaded with more and more responsibilities than just sales. Compliance, ESR, AML, KYC burdens are heavy, and audits are frequent. It's getting to a point I don't feel the bang for buck at this place. I don't want my boss's job, that much I know.

I used to be a headhunter's darling, but my current place of employ has moved my base up quite high to a point HHs stopped calling me since a year ago. I think a equivalent of me outside in an average bank would be making a 120-150 base, so it is hard to give me any kind of bump up for jumping. So far I have resisted jumping level, but at this point in time I pretty much don't mind, keeping in mind also I will get 3 months gardening.

I really feel like quitting without a job, but now I have a mortgage and car loan, and I'm afraid to take this step out.

What did people who left banking take up? Which industries would be interesting in ex-bankers like myself? I am prepared to take a pay cut if it means I get to do a proper 9-6, but how much of a cut did you guys take?

Thanks in advance for replies and suggestions. Obviously can't talk about this with my colleagues current or ex-.